Stepford up
As I understand it, “step up” is the possibly now stale, but
relatively trendy, term for giving it all. Doing more to show you mean it.
Showing your bosses – not superiors, but bosses – that you are willing to stay
later, do more, get it done. You’ve been doing fine, but if you want that
promotion, you’ll have to step up. Or maybe you’re not doing so well, and you
need to step up to stay on the job.
I guess athletes use that term, too. Turning on the
afterburners to excel.
So I was cleaning house a few weeks ago and pondering my
life (I’d better get a louder vacuum, so I can drown out those thoughts!), and
the fitting in conundrum. And the image of the Stepford Wife came to mind – the
docile, robotic, matchy-good-attitude-at-all-cost, no individuality allowed,
matron of the 1972 novel. (I just Wiki’d the novel and my impression of it was
slightly different; my mental picture of the women of that fictional, maybe not
so fictional, town had less chauvinism going on, but the analogy still works, I
think.)
I frequently war with myself on doing a better job of
fitting in vs. doing a better job being honest and proud of the misfit I
frequently feel I am. I’ll forever be lost somewhere between being a fifth-grader
longing to be cool and the 17-year-old rejecter of popular culture. I feel like
I’ve been trying to figure out the lay of the land all my life; a Methodist
attending Lutheran school; a ruralite moving to the suburbs; a junior in
college starting over at a 4-year university; a Midwesterner tackling the East
Coast; on and on. As soon as I get my bearings, I move again. I’d like to say
it takes less time to figure out local customs and protocols each time, but I’m
beginning to fear that it takes more time with each transition.
So, pondering all these changes and my continued state of being
ostracized at work, taking out my frustrations on scrubbing or vacuuming or
sorting dirty clothes, somewhere in my unconscious, the term “step up” collided
with the Stepford women. Stepford up.
There are times to follow my own drumbeat, and times to
quiet mine and listen to others’, and times to suck up all the noise and
Stepford Up. I feel that, at work, the latter is the only accepted path. It’s
not bad practice, temporarily. It gives me information and cues for when the
independent drummer can be set free. But that drumbeat keeps getting louder.
No comments:
Post a Comment